Sunday, February 21, 2010

warm weather, blue ribbons & cookies

Good evening! Hope you've had a great weekend. I certainly have! Even though its been cloudy this weekend, its been really nice to have much warmer temperatures and no snow. My husband even had my car cleaned for me! Then he got it stuck in our soggy backyard and now it's a little muddy. But that's okay, its cleaner inside.
Here's a funny thing that happened this afternoon - I was cooking away in my low carb kitchen when my husband came in and looked out the back door. Then he asked why the 2 little girls from next door were in our backyard with a broom & a spatula. Of course, I had no idea. So he asked them and they said they were trying to get their cat. Too funny! Every couple of days the littlest girl, probably about 5 years old, rings our doorbell, my husband usually answers the door and in the cutest little voice she will say that her cat is in our backyard and can she go get it. She's so cute!
I've been thinking a lot lately about my cooking experiences from when I was growing up. Here's a little something not many people know about me - I wonder if my immediate family remembers this. I was a member of the 4H club for a couple of years. I'm not sure how old I was, I just know it was before the 5th grade. Our family had a vacation planned during the time the 4H Fair was being held, but I wanted to compete in the fair. With a little help from my mother, we decided I could enter an apron in the sewing competition & peanut butter cookies for the cooking competition. We dropped both items off to my leader before leaving for vacation.
Imagine my surprise when I returned from vacation and soon found out that I had won a blue ribbon (first place) for my peanut butter cookies and my apron! I was so excited. As I was thinking about this over the weekend, I thought I'd love to be able to provide all you low carbers or just healthy eaters with a low carb option for cookies. So I have come up with a flourless peanut butter cookie recipe that consists of only 4 ingredients, takes about 5 minutes to mix up and less than 10 minutes to bake. And my family loved them!
When I came home from church today, I whipped up another new recipe: green chili stew. Most stews include potatoes, but for this recipe in place of potatoes I used turnips and celery. This is a hearty stew, made with pork sirloin and it's just a tiny bit spicy. I cooked this in the crock pot all afternoon, while I had a nice nap with my husband!
And now it's time for a little relaxing and tv watching with my wonderful hubby. I'll be back tomorrow, until then I hope you have a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment