Thursday, February 11, 2010

pork carnitas & valentine's sweets

Good afternoon!  I hope your day is going well and I hope your home smells as good as mine does right now!  I'm cooking pork carnitas and the aroma is wonderful.  I've also made a mexican-style coleslaw to go with the pork.  I'll post the recipes for both later on this evening. 
Since Valentine's Day is just around the corner I thought I'd share some ideas for celebrating, as far as food goes.  But first of all let me share one of my sweetest Valentine's memories with you. I worked in an office with about 10 other women.  Valentine's Day fell on a Thursday that year.  On Monday morning, much to my surprise, I received a single rose in a bud vase - I think it was yellow.  My coworkers had a good laugh.  They joked all day about how at least my husband sent something to me, even if he did have his days mixed up.  When I got home from work that day, I thanked him for the flowers and he just smiled and said "you're very welcome." 
The next day, Tuesday, my coworkers were all still having a good laugh about the early delivery.  As they were joking about it I received another delivery - a single rose in a bud vase.  They quit laughing after that!  I also received another rose on Wednesday.  On Thursday, I received a single long-stem deep red rose (my favorite)!  I thought after getting the delivery on Thursday, that would be the last one, but sure enough, Friday came and I received another delivery. 
I have the best husband!!  He always makes Valentine's Day special.  This year I already know something I'm getting.  Every year at Christmas we dance in the gazebo in Central Park while he sings "The Christmas Song" (chestnuts roasting on an open fire..)  Unfortunately we both kind of forgot this year - I think it had to do with some distracting family drama. Anyway, we're having our dance in the gazebo.  I wonder if he has a song in mind...
Back to the kitchen, so no matter who you are celebrating with or spending Valentine's Day with this year, there are so many low carb options now.  If you're cooking, check out some of the recipes on the website.  You can whip up something for breakfast, lunch or dinner.  How about serving your special someone a breakfast in bed - make sure you cook enough for yourself, too.  Who doesn't like breakfast in bed?
Or how about a nice slow cooked pork tenderloin?  Perhaps you'd prefer beef, seafood or chicken.  There are so many possibilities.  You might even want to whip up a cheesecake.  Or check out the low carb muffin recipe.
So, I've discussed flowers and food but what about those special little sweet treats?  After starting low carb, I remember receiving from my husband a very little box of chocolates.  We'd share them with the kids and that would be our splurge.  Nowadays, there are so many options for low carb sweets.  If you can't find a pretty red box with sugar free chocolates or candies, make your own basket.  Just find a small basket, fill with some sugar free chocolates or sugar free hard candy.  If you want your basket to look extra special, go to your local fabric store and pick up some tulle & ribbon for a bow.  Lay the tulle out flat on a table, place the basket in the middle, bring the edges up around the basket & tie together with a bow.  You could also use a small piece of lace.
I think I hear my carnitas calling me.  I'll leave you with this thought for Valentine's Day - just remember, it's the thought that counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment