Thursday, February 4, 2010

old favorites & new recipes

Good morning!  When we first started our low carb lifestyle, we pretty much stuck to the basics - eggs, meat, cheese, fish and a little salad.  After a few months, we craved a little variety so I began my journey to learn more about carbs.  We were looking to expand our low carb food options, so I began researching net carbs and religously checking nutrition labels in my quest to find more foods that we could eat.  Shortly thereafter, I discovered that a lot of traditional foods that I grew up with and foods that my family liked could be converted into low carb recipes. 
Well, yesterday I had a craving for the fish sandwiches that my Dad would sometimes order from a small little tavern in our neighborhood.  My mother preferred their brain sandwiches - yuck!  But my Dad & I always had the fish sandwiches, on rye bread.  I wasn't a big fan of rye bread when I was younger but the sandwiches were awesome.
So, yesterday I was on a quest to develop a crispy, fried fish sandwich - just like the ones we used to get from the tavern.  My first try was a total success!  I'll post the recipe in just a little while, but just so that you know it was really, really easy.  Ingredients included tilapia, eggs, parmesan cheese & olive oil.  While I thawed my fish, I whipped up a batch of milled flax seed flat bread with caraway seed.  You can find this recipe on the website, too!  The bread only takes about 5 minutes or less to whip up and only 20 minutes to bake.
As my bread was baking, I began frying the fish.  Most people think that when you are watching your carbs, you can't eat anything fried, but that is simply not true.  You can prepare awesome fried foods without flour.  Parmesan cheese works great for frying chicken, using as a bread substitute in salmon patties or for breading fish.  I'm even thinking about trying it on some low carb veggies.  We'll see how that goes.
Back to my kitchen... when the bread finished, I cut it into nice even pieces [almost], spread some mayo on the bread and added the fish.  I must admit, the sandwiches exceeded my expectations - they were absolutely fantastic!  I think the next time I make them, I'll add some cheese and maybe some tartar sauce.  I'm not sure on the carb count for tartar sauce, so I might have to come up with my own recipe...
Time for me to go, have a great low carb day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment