Sunday, February 7, 2010

super bowl sunday & my mother-in-law's birthday

Who's gonna win the super bowl?  The score is really close right now:)  And there's not too much time left!
I don't know about you but we sure had a busy weekend at our house.  I spent the afternoon on Saturday at the grocery store and I think everyone else in town was there, too!  I bought enough groceries to stock my refrigerator and my pantry.  We're supposed to have snow move in Monday night, so I didn't want to have to step foot in a grocery store again this week.  Especially since every other person in town was in the store on Saturday afternoon - it took me forever! 
I ended up spending the evening in the kitchen last night.  I cooked up a batch of Matt's very, very spicy chili.  I also whipped up a "company cheesecake".  We had a get together for my mother-in-law today to celebrate her bithday.  Happy Birthday, Bettye! 
Each family brought a pot of soup.  A couple of us were supposed to bring desserts but I'm the only one that made a dessert.  I wanted to take a dessert so that we would have a low carb option for anyone watching their carbs.  I also took some of the milled flax seed bread with caraway seeds.
The chili was a huge hit.  Everyone really, really liked it.  Thanks to my son, Matt, for coming up with the recipe.  Okay, so a couple of people put crackers in it, but that's okay.  The flax seed bread was a big hit, too - I'm glad everyone liked it.  I had some with peanut butter on it, to go with my chili.
I'm also really glad I made the cheesecake.  Everyone loved it and it turned out to be the only dessert.  My mother-in-law really liked it, too.  So I'm glad she had a nice dessert to celebrate her birthday.  I hope she gets to feeling better though, she's a bit under the weather.
I'll be back in the kitchen tomorrow, whipping up a few new recipes.  This week I'll be posting a recipe for carnitas, so if you like mexican food be sure to check back later on in the week.  Well, it's time to finish watching the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment