Monday, February 15, 2010

college visits, snow days & ice cream

My daughter & I were supposed to visit the Northern Kentucky University campus today.  It must have snowed on & off all night long and we received an additional 4 inches or more of snow last night.  Our school system was supposed to have a makeup snow day this morning.  The phone rang at about 5:30 this morning - the automated school call system - with the school cancellation message.  And sure enough, the Northern Kentucky University campus ended up being closed today, too, due to snow. 
Since I already had a scheduled day off from work, I decided to get some of my new recipes posted.  First, I fixed a great breakfast for myself - mediterranean-style scrambled eggs & a cup of fresh brewed coffee with heavy whipping cream & splenda - the coffee was like drinking hot chocolate, so sweet & creamy!  I worked for a few hours or more and then set out to find something in the refrigerator for lunch - leftover wilted spinach salad topped with leftover broiled salmon with honey soy sauce - it was great!  I like cooking extra so that I can have leftovers for lunch - it makes lunch super easy, especially since I normally take my lunch to work.
I've got more recipes to add, but here are some that I've added today: mediterranean-style scrambled eggs, seasoned cabbage slaw, bacon & onion scallops, & lemon-peppered scallops.   I'll have some additional recipes posted later this evening.
This afternoon, in my low carb kitchen, I whipped up a little something special - vanilla chocolate protein ice cream.  It's been in the freezer for about an hour and I can't wait until it's done!!  I might even top it with sugar-free whip cream - doesn't that sound yummy?  After I try it, I'll post the recipe so that you can try it, too.  Actually, you could make all kinds of different flavors & there are only 2 basic ingredients - protein powder & egg whites - you just add your favorite sugar-free or low carb flavorings.  Anyway, you can check out the recipe later and let me know how you like it.  Also, let me know if you have any suggestions for variations.  I'm definitely thinking about strawberries or blueberries & pecans...
Okay, I doubt the ice cream is frozen yet, but I'm going to go check it anyway.  I'll be back tomorrow - have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment