Monday, February 1, 2010

thinking about valentine's day

Sometimes I find that fixing a meal at home is much easier than going out for a meal, unless I'm already out.  I guess that could be because our town doesn't have a lot of really good restaurants.  Or the ones that we do have, we frequent enough that they don't seem too "special" anymore, at least not "special" enough for a "special occasion."  I hope that makes sense...
I've been working on low carb "romantic" ideas for having a nice date night at home.  With a little planning, you can have a very nice, special valentine's day dinner at home. Well, I was at the store the other day and there was a special on cornish hens - $2.47 each... I didn't think I had ever had one and well, they are so cute. I decided I'd try making them because I thought they would be really cute on a plate.  Weird, huh!
I also bought a shrimp cocktail package (on sale for $5) - the kind with the precooked, peeled shrimp & cocktail sauce.  
The cornish hens were frozen, as was the shrimp cocktail, so I placed both packages in the refrigerator (not freezer) when I came home from the grocery store.  That was 3 days ago.   
When I came home from work this evening, I decided to have cornish hens, shrimp cocktail & green beans as one of my romantic meal ideas.  I preheated the oven, seasoned the cornish hens and placed them in the oven.  The hens needed to cook for 1 hr and 15 to 30 minutes.  I also put on a pot with green beans & turnips - very easy!
While the cornish hens & green beans were cooking, I worked out on my eliptical rider.  I'm all about multitasking!! My workout lasted about 40 minutes, so I had a little time to spare before the cornish hens would be finished cooking.  I took the shrimp cocktail package out of the refrigerator & the threw away the premade cocktail sauce - because it's typically high in carbs.  Then I made my own cocktail sauce.  Very simple, low carb ketchup, horseradish & Louisiana hot sauce - it was really, really good. 
My point is this, with about 15 minutes or so of prep work, I had a really nice "special" meal.  Just a little something different but still very good and very low carb.  Check out the 3 recipes on the website: cornish hens, shrimp cocktail sauce and green beans with turnips.  A really nice meal for 2 that cost less than $15!  You can't beat that!

No comments:

Post a Comment