Sunday, February 14, 2010

valentine's day, snow & what low carb isn't

It's a snowy Valentine's Day, here in Henderson, Kentucky.  How's the weather where you?  Good, I hope and I hope you're celebrating the day with your loved ones.  If there's snow in your area - how about going sledding with your valentine?  I love to go sledding.  There's nothing like riding a sled down a snow covered hill.  The only part I'm not so fond of is trying to walk back up the hill:) 
When I was growing up my oldest sister would take us sledding.  Sometimes my Dad would go to.  My Mother would always stay home.  When we returned, she'd meet us at the door with dry clothes & towels.  Then we'd sit around the kitchen table sipping the homemade cocoa she'd make while we were gone.  Those were the days!
Well, let's talk about my low carb kitchen.  This last week, I've been cooking a lot of fish. I've also been eating fish sometimes twice a day - for lunch & for supper.  If you like fish & horseradish, here's a great "fish salad" that I've been having for lunch - microwave a fish filet, mix mayo & horseradish together to make a sauce for the fish.  Then add the fish to the sauce and flake with a fork.  I love horseradish, so this dish is great for me.  If you like fish & horseradish, you might want to give it a try, too.  I'll post the recipe on the website later today.
One of the reasons I like fish so much is because it's so versatile.  Fish is good for you, it's low or no carb, and there are so many different varieties.  You can eat hot, cold, in a soup, on a sandwich, by itself, with veggies, etc.  Thankfully most of my family likes just about every kind of fish, too.  How about shrimp cocktail for a snack?  Shrimp has no carbs & you can easily make your own low carb cocktail sauce (there's a recipe on the website.)  We keep a bag of frozen precooked, shelled shrimp in the freezer - when you want a snack put the shrimp in cold water to thaw.  How about a good salmon recipe?  Look on the website for broiled salmon with honey soy sauce - it's delicious.
My thought for the day is this - you don't have to be a big "meat" eater to enjoy a low carb lifestyle.  I rarely eat beef but I have followed a low carb lifestyle for over 3 years.  Contrary to popular belief, low carb isn't just eggs, meat & cheese.  Studies have shown that most low carbers eat more vegetables than those on other types of diets.
Have a great Sunday and a great Valentine's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment