Monday, March 22, 2010

Spring, Easter traditions & ham

Good evening! Hope you had a great weekend! I’m so glad that spring is finally here as is the lovely spring rain. I think it’s been raining for 2 days, but it’s supposed to be sunny tomorrow. With the new season comes a whole new list of recipes that I’d like to share with everyone.
Since Spring is here it also means that Easter is just around the corner, too. I’m really looking forward to Easter although my [immediate] family won’t be getting together for the holiday. I think maybe we’ll have our own little holiday celebration the weekend after Easter. We’re not getting together this year because my sons’ band is on tour and they won’t be getting home until late in the evening on Easter. But of course, they’ll still get an Easter basket!
When I was a child, Easter was always a big celebration for our family. My mother normally did a lot of sewing of Easter dresses for me & my 2 sisters. I remember the last Easter dress my mother made for me – I was 16 or 17 and the material was a light blue fabric with a tiny raised flower design. The dress was a sun dress and she also made a very short jacket to go with it, which was almost sleeveless. On the Saturday night before Easter we got about a foot of snow! I still have the picture of my mother & I in our new dresses and sandals, standing in the snow.
Speaking of my mother, the first “Easter” recipe I’m going to share with you, I learned from her. Easy baked ham marinated with diet cola. Although my mother always used a regular cola for marinating. It’s very easy and I always get a lot of compliments on the recipe. Whenever someone asks for my recipe, they always look at me funny when I tell them what it is but it is very, very good. I like to serve this ham for Easter and I also like to make this for our New Years Eve party, whenever we get the chance to have one.
Another recipe I’d like to share with you today is strawberries & cream jello dessert. We used to grow strawberries in our backyard when I was very young. My mother always said they had to get rid of them because the kids wouldn’t stay out of them – we’d eat them straight from the plant. I think strawberries or just about any other kind of berries are my favorite fruit, they're also one of the most low carb fruits. This recipe is made from jello, strawberries & heavy cream.
I hope you add these recipes to your recipe collection. Stayed tuned for some more recipes tomorrow. Hope you have a nice evening! Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment