Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Easter eggs, egg recipes & scotch eggs

Good evening! I certainly hope that you’ve had a great day so far! The weather here is so much better today. The day started out very overcast, chilly & extremely foggy. Now it’s a beautiful, sunny day. Welcome Spring!
Well, let’s get down to business – I can’t wait to tell you what I made yesterday in my low carb kitchen. My husband was so darn excited, he couldn’t hardly contain himself!
First of all, do you ever wonder how in the world you could eat all of the Easter eggs you end up fixing? When our kids were growing up we explained to them that we would dye Easter eggs and leave the door open so that the Easter Bunny could come inside, get in our refrigerator and take the eggs outside to hide them. We told them that we were helping him out by providing our own eggs and also that he would like to see all the eggs we dyed. Speaking of all the eggs we dyed, we always let each of our kids dye at least 1 dozen eggs and then some more, too. Normally we dye, 3 to 4 dozen eggs. Yes, that may be overdoing it, but our kids, including us adults, are pretty artsy and we really enjoy the “artwork” we create.
The eggs were normally outside for just a few minutes, so we’d put them back in the refrigerator. Then we’d try to eat them all up before we ended up throwing a good majority of them away later in the week. Prior to this year, we’ve mostly used the eggs for egg salad and deviled eggs. But this year I’ve been on a quest to come up with some ways to use all the eggs. So whether or not you dye eggs or even celebrate Easter, I’m determined to share with you some nice recipes for boiled eggs. The first recipe I posted a couple of weeks ago: jalapeno-spiced egg salad for 1. You can double or triple this recipe for more servings.
My next recipe is what I made for supper last night and my husband was so excited! So here’s my new recipe creation - scotch eggs. My husband has begged and begged for me to try to come up with a low carb version of this recipe. So I gave it a shot and the eggs turned out really good – just ask my husband and daughter! So, you may be wondering what in the world is a scotch egg. Well, it’s a hard boiled egg, that is basically wrapped with ground breakfast sausage and baked. I also made a Dijon cream sauce for dipping, that was really good – especially with a few drops of hot sauce. So if you’re looking to try something a little different I would definitely suggest scotch eggs. If you have big plans for the Easter holiday, you could make these eggs ahead of time and warm them prior to serving. They would be great for breakfast or as an additional side dish for a meal.
Stay tuned for more recipes tomorrow. Time for me to get ready to watch American Idol - we can’t wait to see what’s in store this week. I’ll be back tomorrow. Have a good evening & take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment