Wednesday, March 3, 2010

a little road trip & no time in my low carb kitchen today...

Bright & early this morning, my daugher, Lori and I left for Northern Kentucky University. Lori wanted to visit the campus again to help her decide if this is really the college for her. We were so rushed, we didn't have time for me to fix breakfast. Okay, maybe if I would have gotten out of bed earlier, I would have had time to fix breakfast:)
We knew we needed to get gas and since the little convenience store, less than a block from our house, has gas and food, we decided to go there. We gassed up the car and then went inside for some snacks and breakfast. They have a pretty good assortment of freshly made breakfast foods - every kind of biscuit you can think of, some kind of hashbrown thing that is about the size of a big finger (weird, but true), chicken strips & some type of a corn dog.
So you may be wondering what in the heck us low carbers were doing trying to come up with a hot breakfast selection at this convenient store. Actually, it's pretty easy - a biscuit with meat, egg & cheese - and throw the biscuit away!!! If you're tempted by a biscuit like this, remove the biscuit and throw it in the trash immediately. Out of sight, out of mind - right?
Okay, so we wanted some snacks, too. I opted for pork rinds & Lori grabbed a package of beef jerky. I also picked up a few drinks, 2 bottled waters, one for each of us, sugar-free green tea for me and a "Fuze" brand drink for Lori. The "Fuze" drink is a fruity kind of drink with very few carbs, I think 2 or 3 per serving.
We ate our breakfast and drove for over 3 hours. Then we stopped for lunch. Lori really gave this a lot of thought, trying to decide which fast food restaurant would be best for a low carb lunch. We decided on a Big Boy restaurant. We both had a salad from the salad bar with low carb items. I had a burger and Lori had a chicken sandwich. We both threw away our buns, which made our lunches pretty low carb.
We visited the campus, listened to a speaker, went on a tour and came home. We were so tired! So, we ended up having supper (to-go) from a local "food bar" type of restaurant. Lori & Bradley went and picked up the food and did really good, making sure they stuck to low carb for Lori and I. Poor Lori, she wanted to drive all the way to and from NKU so that she could have the experience of knowing what it would be like to drive the distance to the campus. She ate her supper and went straight to bed. She was so tired.
And speaking of being tired, I am too!! I'll catch back up with you tomorrow! Have a good evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment