Monday, April 5, 2010

starfish, sand dollars & spring break

Good afternoon! Sorry for the long break from blogging. We just returned from our little spring break vacation on Saturday. Although I had the best intentions of blogging and adding recipes while on vacation, I just couldn’t tear myself away from all the pool time and beach time! Speaking of beach time, I was so excited to find a starfish & an almost-whole sand dollar. We had absolutely beautiful weather, although the ocean temperature was only estimated at about 69 degrees. But we braved the chilly water the last day we were there – we lasted for about 2 minutes!
Last night, our sons’ band returned from their tour and we were so glad to have everyone back at home again. I’m so proud of them. This was what they are considering to be their first successful tour – they were able to eat well, enjoy themselves and return with money in their pockets. Yeah!!
Well, on my little break from my low carb kitchen, I must admit I didn’t do any cooking all the while I was gone! Not cooking was pretty strange, considering how much I tend to cook now days. My breakfast consisted of a protein shake every morning because I had to get down to the pool quickly in order to reserve our poolside table & chairs. If you are ever in a hurry and need a quick breakfast or snack, I highly recommend protein shakes. You can find protein shake mixes or protein shakes at many grocery stores, including your local Walmart. Also, just a reminder, don’t forget to check the net carb count – some may be loaded with lots of carbs. I have a shaker type of container that I use in order to mix a shake thoroughly. I like to use a vanilla shake mix with coffee and ice – then shake (or stir well). You can also whip up all kinds of different varieties like chocolate cream shake, orange dream shake, & root beer shake.
While we were on vacation, our lunch usually consisted of a couple of slices of deli meat, some cheese, and sometimes a small piece of fruit. I like to roll slices of deli meat by themselves or roll a slice of deli meat around a slice of cheese. If you like horseradish, you might want to try serving slices of deli meat & cheese with my new horsey sauce recipe. You can also serve the horsey sauce on burgers, with steak, pork loin or anything else you’d like to add a little kick to. How about a spicey egg salad made with the horsey sauce? Actually, I could eat this sauce on just about anything!
Well, I hope you’ve had a good day and continue to have a good evening. I’m glad to be back sharing my recipes and little stories with you! See you tomorrow! Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment