Friday, April 9, 2010

country style ribs, barbeque sauce & hot dogs

Good afternoon! If you live in my area - hasn't today been a gorgeous spring day? If you don't live in my area - I hope you've had nice weather, too! Isn't it strange - during the fall & winter it seems we tend to anticipate and look forward to cooler weather & sometimes even snow. But as soon as spring turns the corner, we tend to get so excited about sunny, warmer days... well at least that's how I am.
Speaking of warmer days, I'm going to have to get a new grill & I'm really looking forward to it! But you don't have to have a grill to cook up something that you might traditionally grill. Last night I made baked country style boneless [pork] ribs. These ribs are cooked in the oven and although I cooked them for almost 2 hours, it only took about 10 minutes to prep, preheat the oven and begin cooking. You could also grill the ribs.
I've been doing some research on making a low carb barbeque sauce and after reading so many different types of recipes and suggestions - I decided to try a sauce based on what my mother used to make. She used ketchup, mustard & worchestershire sauce. I decided to use liquid smoke in place of the worchestershire sauce because it has, in my opinion, too many carbs - 1 per teaspoon. Whereas liquid smoke has 0 per teaspoon. I also added some additional spices - here's the link to the mild barbeque sauce, if you'd like to give it a try.
Speaking of grilling, I think for supper this evening were gonna have something else you might like to grill but you can also cook them quickly on the stove. Cheese hot dogs, need I say more? The brand I buy contains less than 1 net carb per dog - not too bad. You can also fry them in a skillet with a bit of olive oil or butter - slice them first, straight down the middle - then fry on the cut side first. We like to put our hot dogs on a plate and top with lots of low carb toppings, including reduced sugar ketchup, mustard, mayonaisse, onion, cheese and whatever else you might be in the mood for.
Last but not least - if you're having a late night craving for something crunchy and salty - how about trying one of my son, Bradley's, favorite low carb snacks? Pork rinds dipped in low carb peanut butter. I've been buying natural peanut butter that contains only 4 net carbs per tablespoon. Usually the natural peanut butter is a little runny - so it's perfect for dipping. Here's a couple of the brands I purchase.

It's funny, when Bradley has friends over he'll get some out to snack on. Then he'll ask if they want some & "make" them try it. So far, they've all really liked his snack.
Well I hope you have a wonderful evening. It's time for me to head to my low carb kitchen & then have a little family time. See you tomorrow. Take care!!

No comments:

Post a Comment