Thursday, April 8, 2010

fried pickles, shrimp salad & wraps

Good afternoon! How are you doing today? I hope well! I’m ready for some more warm spring weather. We had storms last night and today it’s been pretty cloudy this morning. The sun has been peaking out a bit this afternoon but the wind is pretty brisk – it’s much cooler. Tomorrow we’re in for a very sunny, much warmer day. Yeah! And our weekend forecast is even better – it looks like we’ll be working in the yard!
I can’t wait to tell you about what I whipped up in my low carb kitchen last night. My first recipe is fried dill pickles. Many of our local restaurants serve this yummy appetizer. Anytime we have any kind of outdoor activities with food booths, at least a couple of booths feature fried dill pickles. I decided a few weeks ago to come up with my own low carb version. I frequently use grated parmesan cheese in place of breading for frying fish & chicken. So, I decided I should be able to use parmesan cheese as a breading. It worked out just great! I’m going to start trying it with other fried appetizers and vegetables, too. I’ll add the recipes as soon as I try them out. One tip – be sure to use the kind of grated parmesan that comes in a jar – I don’t think freshly grated parmesan would work or would work as well.
My next recipe is dilled shrimp salad. I love seafood salad but most of the time, imitation crab meat is used and most of it, that I have seen, is fairly high in net carbs. So I decided to substitute the imitation crab meat with shrimp. For an extra fresh kick of flavor – I added dried dill weed. I think the result is better than regular seafood salad.
You can serve this salad by itself, on a bed of lettuce, or on a low carb sandwich. How did I serve it? I made dilled shrimp salad wraps. I highly recommend giving them a try. I frequently use low carb tortillas for wraps – I like them a lot better than some of the low carb wrap products that are in our local grocery store. Some of the wraps tend to be pretty grainy or have a slightly weird taste. So I buy low carb tortillas that have almost the exact same texture as flour tortillas.
What will I whip up next? Who knows? Not even me! It depends on what we’re in the mood for tonight but I guarantee it will be something delicious! I can’t wait to get back in the kitchen tonight! I hope you have a good evening! Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment